logo

logo
Petit Fours: a Sydney food blog

logo

logo
Petit Fours: a Sydney food blog

logo

logo
Petit Fours: a Sydney food blog

Monday 15 April 2013

Grill'D, CBD


I've been on a burger craze of late. I'll begin this post with one of my favorites quotes of How I Met Your Mother:

"    Marshall: Just a Burger? Just a burger. Robin, it's so much more than "just a burger." I mean...that first bite—oh, what heaven that first bite is. The bun, like a sesame freckled breast of an angel, resting gently on the ketchup and mustard below, flavors mingling in a seductive pas de deux. And then...a pickle! The most playful little pickle! Then a slice of tomato, a leaf of lettuce and a...a patty of ground beef so exquisite, swirling in your mouth, breaking apart, and combining again in a fugue of sweets and savor so delightful. This is no mere sandwich of grilled meat and toasted bread, Robin. This is God, speaking to us in food.
Lily: And you got our wedding vows off the Internet!?    "



So pretty much that justifies my burger craze. I've had my fair share; from the recent Chur's, to the new Excelsiors, Rockpool's famous always reliable wagyu, still missing on the lotus one, Plan B's, Fish Shop's crumbed fish burger. Yeah the typical places. Of late, my adventure brings me to Grill'd courtesy of my brother's UNSW buy one get one free voucher. Needless to say, I took him that day for burgers. 
 

It's a nice while unimaginative set out. It's dark and groovy with the slightly overused wood furniture, stools, communal tables, typical dim lighting being the summation of it all. I park myself on the outside seating area where the temperature is cooler. 
 
Goats Cheese and Hummus 13.5
If this is healthy, it tastes pretty darn good. The hummus and goats cheese gives it this wonderful unapologetic creaminess that just makes it feel as if it's unhealthy. That's the star, in my opinion, which paves the way for a meaty portion of lamb patty.

Front Bar 15.5
Steak sandwich comes as a generous portion with a knife suitably stabbed through it because steak, no matter what you do with it, isn't as remotely bite-able as a mince patty. Each bite was quite a mouthful with a good slab of steak, some sweet beetroot action, spicy onions and fried egg going on. I'm interested to know what mesculine tastes like because it was lost on me.

Chicken, Pomegranate and Goat's Cheese 13.9
Round 2 sees me order a salad. I know right? A salad at a burger joint. Must be a first. It feels complete eating it; there's a little moist chicken in there for protein, some quinoa to fill you up, assorted salad leaves, crunchy, tart and sweet pomegranate seeds and some brilliant goats cheese which gives it a salty and mild flavoured softness that's just wonderful. Almonds, while appropriate, feel rather non-existent in the midst of everything else, maybe toast them to give them a little more character.  

Almighty 13.5
We also get a beef burger aptly named the 'Almight'. It's got pretty much everything to fill you up. Pack to the brim with a fried egg, lettuce, beetroot, relish, bacon, tasty cheese and of course a slab of lean beef patty.

Regular Hot Chips 4.5 w/ Herbed Mayo 0.7
Chips here come highly recommended. They're thick and fluffy although not all crisp  but the really flavourful chunky herb mayo makes it a real winner.


While undeniably delicious and healthy, it doesn't induce the How I Met Your Mother burger episode sort of feeling:

"    Lily: This burger is so good, its like Christmas in my mouth. Meat Christmas.
Ted: Its like an angel from heaven landed in the kitchen of McClaren's... where the chef killed it and ran it through the meat grinder.
Barney: I love this burger so much I want to sew my ass shut    "  



That's a feeling that only unctuous burgers, I'd be happy to be disagreed with, sadly can lay claim to. It's still pretty darn tasty and has got my tick of approval (not sure how qualified I am) when it comes to health however; over-laden with assorted vegetables and lean meats, although that's what's probably stopping it from being 'the best'. The bandana sporting staff are brilliantly energetic and hospitable although the paying lines system could certainly do with a revamp which becomes especially evident during peak lunch times. It's a definite collision course for the uninitiated. I definite must visit if you're in the need for an above average lunch meal without the guilt. You'll have no trouble finding it with 11 NSW locations. Where is your favourite burger at?


View Larger Map


Grill'D Healthy Burgers on Urbanspoon

1 comments:

Grill'd burgers feel healthier than other burgers for some reason! You had a yummy looking assortment :D

Post a Comment


No, we aren't the most amazing gastronomes or chefs. Heck, half our team doesn't even know how to cook... well. However, what we really love is eating. And lots of it. We enjoy that occasional freebie, filling up that craving for a midnight snack and finding a 20 in our pockets that we thought we never had, and using that as an excuse to go out eating. As we battle the ongoing war on uni student poverty, we'll bring you the most swoon worthy recounts of our latest foodie adventures.


 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...